In this article I will describe the problem I've had with Eclipse's handling of XML file formatting as well as the best way to fix it.
I use Eclipse to do my Android development for a few reasons:
- it's the only IDE fully supported by the Android dev team
- it has a visual Layout/Resources builder that transforms XML files into corresponding visual representations
- it's free and open source
- I've been using Eclipse for many years and am very familiar with it
However, one thing about Eclipse Android development has bothered me for a while …
Updated: October 16th, 2009
Today is my first day looking at Android development. My first encounter with the Android plugin for Eclipse has not been very smooth, to say the least. I am not sure if it's Android's or Eclipse's fault but I just wasted 2 hours on errors during the plugin installation and would like to pass on the time savings to you.
The plugin install page provides initial instructions and the location of the plugin to give Eclipse (https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/). This is very standard stuff and I've installed many plugins exactly the same way. However, here's when problems started.
Problem #1: Error while loading manipulator
Eclipse just shows a cryptic Install failed box. Here are the highlights:
- !MESSAGE Error while loading
[Solr] How To Fix java.io.IOException: directory FOO exists and is a directory, but cannot be listed: list() returned null
Updated: September 28th, 2009
I am throwing up a quick post about a relatively cryptic error that Solr started throwing the other day here at Plaxo. After happily running for a few days, I suddenly started getting pages about failed Solr indexing.
Upon closer examination, I saw the following repeatedly in the log file:
catalina.2009-09-18.log:SEVERE: java.io.IOException: directory 'DATADIR/index' exists and is a directory, but cannot be listed: list() returned null
I tried to see if sending an OPTIMIZE command would help but the server returned the same response.
The reason was these errors was quite simple – Solr was running into the system level limit on allowed number of open files (ulimit). This limit can be seen by running
Updated: September 16th, 2012
StackOverflow is an amazing site for coding questions. It was created by Joel Spolsky of joelonsoftware.com, Jeff Atwood of codinghorror.com, and some other incredibly smart guys who truly care about user experience. I have been a total fan of SO since it went mainstream and it's now a borderline addiction (you can see my StackOverflow badge on the right sidebar).
Update 6/21/09: This server is currently under very heavy load (10-200), even with caching plugins enabled. Please bear with me as I try to resolve the situation.
Feel free to bookmark this page and return to it later when the fires have been put out.
Update 06/21/09: I think I've got the situation …
If you use VNC to remotely connect to your machines and are having problems with certain applications not showing changes (redrawing), this will, hopefully, solve the problem for you.
The symptoms are simple: you load a program but only the program outline and maybe the first frame would show up. After that, nothing would update, even though the user in front of the remote computer can see everything updating fine. For me, it is happening with all Java based programs (SmartSVN, Charles – amazing program btw!, etc). Here's what's happening to my Charles application – it never even sent the first frame, simply showing the desktop and not updating:
The problem may be confined to RealVNC …